Dashed Lines and electrical symbols for SketchUp

General discussions, ideas... (please keep to things related to Sketchup, CAD, 1001bit, plugins etc.)

Dashed Lines and electrical symbols for SketchUp

Postby klog » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:31 am

Hello to all in this thread

I have just uploaded to Google Warehouse my set of Electrical symbols and structural symbols including the Elusive DASHED LINE! :berserk: To use the electrical symbols just open each component and hide the version you do not want. For the dashed line and arc just scale them to the drawing, edit component and get rid of the very stretched circle. For those who want to fine tune the process of creating dashed lines and get them to the right look for their projects here is the info: painful as it is, for a straight line you must draw a set of equal lines with equal spaces between (or any regular variation, I think mine were 1/4" each) and - here is the key - add a small circle to one end. Then make a component of it and it is scalable. :ecstatic: For the arc I just drew an arc, exploded it, made a component of it, and hid every other segment in edit mode. It too is scalable.

After digesting every word in this forum topic it is time to give back to you all. At least I hope this is an original idea or I will feel real stupid :oops: the URL: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... revstart=0

Thank you all for the great info.
Klog
klog

Re: Dashed Lines and electrical symbols for SketchUp

Postby GohCH » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:35 pm

hi Klog,
Thanks for the input.
Would it be useful to create a tool to draw dashed lines? (actually, quite easy to do...)
If there is a need for it, i can add this into next update.
Thanks and cheers!
Goh
GohCH

Re: Dashed Lines and electrical symbols for SketchUp

Postby klog » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:42 pm

goHCH
Thanks for the reply; and yes there has long been a need for the easy dashed line creation. In your contour mapping the need for the ability to convert contours from solid to dashed would be nice as most contour lines on maps should be represented this way. It is less confusing to the eye and is secondary information to site plans, for instance. But since your contours are created as straight lines and (on Google Earth terrain imports at least) rather long segments, the contours look really jagged and need to be smoothed and/or converted to Bezier splines to smooth them. First the segments need to be welded together, though, and made into a polyline; and if the lines were first dashed, the welding and polyline operations may be compromised and fail. Just guessing on this though.
One question: can mesh density? be changed to make the mapping smoother after the fact? Or must that be a stipulation of their creation and unchangeable later? I am just getting into surface creation and meshes and these (I know) are very basic questions ....

Thanks for the help and response and the tools are nice and easy to use so far.
Klog
klog

Return to General discussions