Components, not groups, are a must

General discussions, ideas... (please keep to things related to Sketchup, CAD, 1001bit, plugins etc.)

Components, not groups, are a must

Postby klog » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:32 pm

When working with construction documents, doing take-offs directly from the drawings is the ideal. When every "board" is an unique group there is no way to do this efficiently. For "board" substitute: window, door, sheet rock, etc. You could solve the problem by either making the groups as copies of the original or by making them components. The obvious benefits of components are to: re-size all by resizing one, replace any and/or all of a selection with other components, and having a count for each type automatically, and more. In the timberframing industry we use components and in conjunction with the timberframe rubies (tf rubies available from Crai ruby library depot and maybe elsewhere) to be able to create joinery impressions in a receiving timber (subtractions of material like Autocad). As your 1001 bit tools now stands in this regard, I can only use this part of the script for quick demonstration purposes and limited usage in CDs. I love the script, don't get me wrong; but this would make it a VERY useful tool and more compatible with my other needs. Thanks for a great script and I look forward to updates and comments on this. Contact me directly if you like.
Klog
klog

Re: Components, not groups, are a must

Postby paddyclown » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:49 am

I agree with you whole heartedly !

best

paddyclown
paddyclown

Postby GohCH » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:27 pm

Thanks guys,
Yes, I understand your point. Quantity take off is a logical thing to do eventually.
I do need to put a bit more thoughts about using components effectively. Thanks for the suggestions :D
GohCH

Postby klog » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:52 pm

gohCH

I have since the last post discovered that multiple copies of groups lose their "copy" status if they are disturbed in any way - that is they lose their duplicate identity even if they have been opened for editing but not edited, and if they are selected while the Sketchup window is minimized! This means that if you want to satisfy the above post's goals, you would have to use components, not groups, to get the materials counts and other items mentioned.

Thanks for thinking about this need.
Yours
Klog
klog

Postby Burkhard » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:31 am

Also Components are needed to reducing the file size of the model.
Burkhard

Return to General discussions